I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
We have a specialist asphalt car parks team. This includes both the installation of new asphalt car parks and repair work to exisiting asphalt car parks. Our highly-experienced asphalt car parks team covers all of London and the South of England, and are fully accredited asphalt specialists.
If you would like a quotation or any information about asphalt car parks please get in touch with us or call us now on 01277 375 511.
Asphalt car parks have proven to be an effective solution for meeting the demands of modern parking areas.
This includes car parks which require ramps, turning circles and elevated vehicle decks.
• Long Life Span.
• Can withstand heavy traffic.
• Easy installation process.
• Easy to maintain and repair.
• Carbon Zero Rating.
• Cost Effective.
• Time tested solution proven over decades.
• 30% Grit can be added to the Asphalt mix for extra hardness. This enables the asphalt car park to withstand the demands of high traffic parking areas.
Vehicle access ramps in car parks are subject to considerable down slope forces due to vehicle traction and braking. This makes it imperative to bond the mastic asphalt directly to the surface of the ramp.
The surface of the ramp should be tamped concrete with no joints. The tamp marks on the concrete should be across the slope of the ramp. These tamp marks provide a key for the asphalt to bind with.
The concrete needs to be as dry as possible. The reason for this is to prevent any blistering occurring in the asphalt. Once this is achieved a limited amount of high bond primer should be applied. With a vehicle access ramp in a car park no sheathing felt is used. A primary coat of roofing asphalt is applied upon the tamped concrete. This coat should be 15mm in thickness. Next a coat of 25-30mm of paving grade asphalt is applied (if the access ramp needs to endure heavier vehicles such as lorries 40mm paving grade asphalt will be necessary).
The ease of car park repairs on an asphalt car park are one of the key reasons for it being the best choice of material for environmentally friendly car parks.
The benefits of using mastic asphalt for car parks are as follows:
1) It is a carbon zero rated product.
2) Asphalt Car Parks can be 100% repaired when the need arises.
3) At the end of its service life mastic asphalt can be completely recycled.
Why does the ease of repair make mastic asphalt such an attractive choice when it comes to car park repairs?
Asphalt being an easy material to repair gives you a vastly extended life span for your car park. This means the cost per year of service for your car park is significantly reduced. To maximise the life span of your car park it is important to take care of any problems when they first occur.
One of the best ways to make sure you stay on top of your car parks repair needs are to schedule an annual maintenance survey.
It is not always easy to spot a problem developing with an asphalt car park in its early stages. For this reason, using an asphalt expert is recommended.
The benefit of choosing an expert is they can identify problems and provide solutions before they develop into something more serious. The benefit of this is two-fold. Firstly, this can potentially save you vast sums of money. And secondly, it can add years to the lifespan of your asphalt car park which will vastly reduce your cost per year of service.
During an annual maintenance survey the most common type of defects identified include:
• Small leaks. The most common causes of small leaks in a car park include asphalt bay joints opening up, upstands becoming stressed and cracking, oil contamination from vehicles and expansion joints becoming defective.
• Damp patches on the ceiling or the walls of the car park. In most cases this problem is caused by a defective membrane on the level above.
• Cracks or Blows on the car park deck. Cracks and blows are often caused by trapped moisture below the asphalt trying to gas out.
• Impact Damage. Heavy objects may be dropped on the surface of the car park. Which can cause hairline cracks. As water seeps into these hairline cracks freezing temperatures can cause these cracks to grow larger. Also, water can get underneath the asphalt and cause blows as the moisture tries to escape.
• Sun Damage. If the car park is exposed to sunlight damage such as slumping can occur. This is caused by the asphalt expanding and contracting with the different temperatures. The way to prevent this problem is with a coat of solar reflective paint.
To conduct repairs to the deck of a car park in mastic asphalt the process is as follows:
1) Using the hot poultice method or a grinder the affected area is cut back with parallel lines either side of the affected area.
2) The affected asphalt which may be up to 60mm deep is removed with a pick or a shovel.
3) Heat is applied to the joints then cleaned and chipped.
4) Waterproof layers now must be laid on a separating membrane with a break joint formed.
5) The paving coat of asphalt is laid which contains 30% grit is laid.
6) The asphalt is covered in sand and rubbed across the surface.
7) All the joints are heated and finished neatly to create a ‘fusion’ union joint.
This process illustrates the cost-effective nature of car park repairs in mastic asphalt. Notice how just the affected area needs to be repaired without the need to take up and relay areas which are still performing well. Also, it causes minimal disruption to the rest of the car park allowing business to resume as usual for unaffected areas of the car park.
In nearly every instance repair is a better choice than replacement for an asphalt car park. Hence, the consistently high demand for car park repair.
We have our own Asphalt Mixer this means a flame free laying of the mastic asphalt. Better consistency in the asphalt mixture meaning a more efficient installation process with a better overall finish.
Vastly experienced asphalt team. We have operatives with more than 40 years’ experience.
We provide a range of FREE quotations and solutions for all projects.
Insurance backed Guarantees.
Excellent Customer Support throughout project.
Rated 5 out of 5 from our previous customers.
If you would like a quotation or any information on Asphalt Car Parks please get in touch with us or call us now on 01277 375 511.